Saturday, March 7, 2015

The Nutsac : Germination

All living beings, starting from insects, want happiness and not suffering. However, we are only one whereas others are infinite in number. Thus, it can be clearly decided that others gaining happiness is more important than just yourself alone. - H.H. The XIV Dalai Lama

A few weeks ago I had what I would like to call an enlightening moment. I was sitting on my friends rooftop in San Diego looking through the hockey glass, towards the ocean. The ocean has always captured my attention. The power behind every wave is infinitely strong and the noise of the waves crashing makes you forget your worries for as long as you listen. As I was listening, a thought and sense of love came through my heart. I deciphered the energy and came to the conclusion that from that point forward I would be a vegan. 

I choose to be a vegan for the love of all living creatures. I would not harm a living creature and would not ask anyone to harm a living creature for me. Now, I made this decision without thinking. I felt something in my heart and I listened. It turns out that being a vegan is pretty difficult. With the help of my family and friends however, I have started to learn more about how to eat. "THE NUTSAC" will be my venue to share recipes that I come across.

JUST THE TIP (of the day): Literally I now carry around a nutsac. I took a freezer bag and put hemp seed as my base (10g protein per 2tblspns) and then add whatever dried fruit, nuts, or all natural items I want to mix. Nuts are a great source of protein and as a vegan this is a concern for proper nutrition.

My father made me a great chili while I was home. He got the recipe from Epicurious but I will be posting his adjustments because damn it was good chili!

Black Bean Chili with Butternut Squash

Yield: 5 servings

Active time: 1 hour
Total time : 3 hours 30 minutes (simmering and cooking)

Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tbsp ground coriander
  • 1 14.5 ounce can fire toasted tomatoes
  • 1/2 pound dried black beans, rinsed
  • 1 chipotle chiles from canned chipotle chiles in adobo, minced
  • 1 teaspoons dried oregano
  • coarse kosher salt
  • 1.25 pounds butternut squash,peeled, seeded, cut
  • 1/2 cup guinoa
  • sour cream
  • coarsely grated hot pepper
  • diced red onion
  • fresh cilantro
  • fresh jalapeno rings
  • carrots 
  • red pepper
  • yellow pepper 
  • cashews

No comments:

Post a Comment