Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Jackson, Wyoming is Really Cool ... Eric Lives There Too




Let me first take a moment to thank my Uncle Michael (Moe) for making all of my recent travels possible.  Allowing me to fly Stand By using his United Airlines employee account has been the gift of a lifetime.  If it wasn't for his generosity I would never be able to go on all of my great adventures or visit my family so often.  I consider myself the luckiest person I know and his gift of flight, as well as his advice and unconditional support, is one of the many reasons why I am so blessed.  Thank you Moe.

My maiden voyage to visit Eric and his new home in Jackson was phenomenal.  The gorgeous mountain ranges and river-cut valleys mixed with the shimmering clouds was a sight to behold.  I attempted to capture the experience in the form of photographs but as usual they do the view no justice.  But after an hour and 2 minute jump up to JAC (Jackson Hole Airport) it was time for some fun.

After hitching a ride into town from a kind-hearted traveler and his buddy, I met Eric at the kayak shop he works out of.  One may ask, "Evan, isn't asking for rides from strangers dangerous?" To which I would usually answer yes.  But it seems to be pretty safe in Jackson seeing as Eric and I did it again on Saturday and Sunday, getting rides back up stream to where we launched into the river.   Friday night included touring Eric's new condo, meeting the roommates, dinner in town, exploring Jackson's bars and souvenir shops, finding $20 in an ATM (epic) and grabbing a few drinks where Eric bar-backs, the Town Square Tavern.

Saturday it was into the canyon for some whitewater kayaking.  Being around the water as much as possible was one of the main goals of the trip.  Quote of the day came from Eric when we were about to put our kayaks in the river.  He said, "It's crazy, I do this for work everyday ... and when I have a day off I do it too".  A clear sign that he has made some great life decisions and is doing what he loves.   Kayaking down the Snake River may be a daily occurrence for Eric but was a big adrenalin rush for me.  Much to Eric's disappointment, I wet exited once or twice but I was able to roll a couple times and I think in general I did fairly well for only my second white water run, first in 2 years.  I'd do it again tomorrow if I could.  It's really a shame I didn't have a waterproof camera because the ride was as gorgeous as it was exciting.  We were even lucky enough to see a bald eagle.  The evening involved Can Jam, local beer and food tasting at the Jackson Hole Live concert series followed by a bit more wondering around town.

Sunday was filled with recovering, disc golf and a relaxing float down the river.  Disc golf took place in Teton Village at the base of the world renowned Jackson Hole Ski Resort.  Eric threw a 48, I threw a 43, Par was 37.  We proceeded to go back to the river in the early evening and tube down a much calmer section than the day before.  It was like the ultimate outdoor lazy river, don't know if it gets any better.  Still being completely drained from the previous 36 hours and facing the sad realization that we just can't party like we used to, we decided to enjoy a nice bro night at the movies.  We chose go see 2 Guns ... I wouldn't recommend it. 

Jackson Wyoming is a beautiful mountain town.  One I would love to vacation at again in the near future.  Winter or Summer, there are a wide range of sights to see and outdoor activities to partake in.  Eric has a great thing going in Jackson, especially now that he is out of the van and into a 3-bedroom condo.  He and his roommates are going to have a great time in their new place and I can't wait to see what it looks like with some furniture and whatever crazy additions they think up.  It was great to visit my best friend and to be reminded of what makes him so special.  Expect another reunion in Denver in the Fall.


("Horse Field" next to Eric's Condo ... no horses)

(View from Eric's room)






(View from Hole 8)

(Needed at least one pic of Grand Teton ... its the peak on the right)






No comments:

Post a Comment