Thursday, September 13, 2012

Boy vs Bat: story as old as time

For the four or five people that read this blog, you may be asking yourself "Gosh, I wonder what Eric has been doing all summer?". Well besides fighting off wolves, slapping elk, and exploring the wilderness, I do in fact work three or four days a week. I work the night shift at the front desk of the Grant Village lodge. Now the job consists of me doing pretty much nothing, just at the hours of the night where most people would like to be sleeping. 

Well the other night ,as the anticipation of Evan's arrival increased,  I was doing my usual nothing at the front desk when all of a sudden I got dive bombed by a flying night critter. It was a BAT, and this sucker was out for blood, heading straight for my head. I quickly Macgrubered a helmet for protection and grabbed a snow pole and it was on! (see picture below). The bat made a few more dives as I dodged and shot rubber bands. The game of cat and mouse, or should i say bat and mouse, continued for a solid three hours until finally the thing posted up way too high on the ceiling for me to reach. 

At this point i devised a long poking device and poked the guy until he made one more attempt at murdering me but failed and fell to the ground. I captured him with a box and put him outside. Unfortunately bats are not like birds and you cannot just release them live doves to fly away in a glamorous show. They need to be hanging and do a swooping motion to start flight. So as Malcolm (which i came to call him) hissed and stared me down with devil eyes, I picked him up, hung him from a ledge and he took a nap. 20 minutes later he flew away. Mission accomplished! 

Evan should be here in 2 hours!


No comments:

Post a Comment